The Able to Manage programme, is a free mentoring scheme from WYC that for young people aged 14+ to receive 1 to 1 mentoring sessions basis to improve money and life skills development.
The programme is for 10 weeks – which is about 1 to 2 hours week spent face to face with the young person.
Here are just a few of the session titles that are included in the programme, which the young person will get to do with their very own mentor.
- The £10 Challenge
- Scavenger hunt
- Spend or Save
- My Money
- Affordable goals
The programme itself is designed to support young people particularly around money management and to improve the following:
- Confidence in managing their own money
- Positive attitude towards their selves
- Belief that they can make a difference in their own life by managing their finances
- Deal well with problems
- Understand how to manage their personal finances and make financial decisions
- Understand the costs of independent living
- Understand the consequences of debt
- Ready to deal with finances associated with employment
The session can be done after school, weekends or, if the school gives permission, inside school time. The young person will be picked up by the mentor and the session will happen within a community setting, they will then be dropped off either at home or back at school.